Advocating for your Family Member Services & Supports Addressing Your Concerns & Challenges to FI’s, Care Managers, Brokers and Program Directors
- Educate yourself
- Ask Questions
- Don’t stop after the first “no”!
- Not satisfied? Ask to speak with supervisor!
- Ask for the written ‘guidelines’
- Read documents before signing
Principles of Advocacy with Legislators
- Relationship building takes time –Plant a seed and follow up!
- Connect with other families in the Self-Direction Community
- Prepare Your Elevator Pitch
- Always mention the benefits of Self-Direction (ex: choice, flexibility, community integration)
- Collect resources to support your Advocacy Position (“Challenge”)
- Explain issue affecting Self-Direction
- Have a clear “Ask” that includes a suggested solution to the “Challenge”
- Follow up with an email or letter: state your issue, repeat your “Ask” and express gratitude for Legislator’s time and support